Friday, January 30, 2009

25 Random Things About Me

This was posted on Facebook so, most everyone has probably seen this. However, I enjoyed writing it so much that I wanted to post it on the blog for a journal entry.
1. I have spent over three weeks in a hospital in a third world country for salmonella poisoning. It scared the daylights out of my parents. Everything looked like it was salvaged from WWII and the nurses work short mini skirts, massive plunging necklines leaving practically nothing to the imagination, high heels and teeny tiny white plastic canvas nurses hats.
2. I have a very low natural body temperature. I am constantly cold. I have the heater on in my car during the summer. I wear sweats nearly all winter if I am at home.
3. I would rather live in a small house with lots of character and charm than a large home with all of the new trendy amenities.
4. I LOVE vintage everything. Furniture, clothing, fabric, shoes. You name it, I love it. I love finding those really cute little stores that sell eclectic, interesting pieces. I rarely buy but I love to look.
5. My favorite room in my house is my sewing room. I can spend hours there. It is full of great old pieces of furniture that I have inherited and refinished and just has a cool feel to it. I am really looking forward to painting it and making it unique.
6. Although I have tried to get into scrapbooking, it is a complete lost cause with me. I wish that they would just magically make themselves. I have the supplies but I just don't want to invest the time to make them cute. So, I will stick with the digital version and call it good.
7. I have a terrible sense of fashion. I see that others look cute. I have the desire to dress stylish but, I just can't seem to pick it out for myself. I have to bring a friend with me when I shop so that I get the right size, color, style etc. That would explain why my entire wardrobe would fit into one large suitcase. So, thanks Haidy for finally introducing me to the perfect pair of jeans and Leigh for telling me that all of my clothes are ugly!
8. I didn't study like I should have in high school and my first couple of years in college. I am still embarrassed about that. However, I did end up kicking into gear my last 2 years in college and during my master's program and pulled off a 4.0 that entire time.
9. I have very artistically talented siblings. They paint, draw and create true masterpieces. I didn't get a stitch of that talent. I wish that I had. My kids can hardly recognize my stick figures!
10. My daughter was born on the same day as my graduation from graduate school (with my M.Ed.) It was the most life changing day of existence. I decided right there to drop the career path and stay home with her. I have never had such feelings of worry, delight, joy sorrow, anxiety, patience and complete and utter unconditional love in my entire life. My boys have only enhanced that. I wouldn't change it for the world.
11. I really enjoy home improvement. I am lucky to be married to a man who also enjoys it. I love color. I figure that paint is a relatively inexpensive, easily transformable way to create a great ambience. Once everything is painted, we go back through and start to repaint!
12. I have decided that my motto in life is to simplify. There is so much out in the world that you can get yourself caught up in. I have been guilty of getting caught up in the glitz of it all from time to time. However, I have found that I am the happiest when I keep life simple and take time to enjoy the small moments. Life is too short.
13. I am a recovering pack rat. I store everything. It has really got on my nerves that past couple of years and I have tried to work on it. I have tried to do a lot of thinning out but, I still have a ways to go. I have noticed that the more I get rid of, the happier I am. Strange huh!
14. I absolutely love to sew and do crafts. I have never been formally taught to sew but, I have really enjoyed developing this hobby over the past few years. As far as crafting goes, there isn't much (besides scrapbooking and cards) that I don't enjoy, have a book on and probably most of the supplies to do it with...hence part of my problem with #13.
15. Growing up, my dad was the photography manager at KSL TV. We loved it. It gave us great perks. We got to drive around in a news car all the time. We were occasionally babysat by news anchors. We were put on the news all the time. Once, my soccer team was put on the news even though we had never won a game, only made one goal the entire season and once tied a game 0 to 0!
16. I am the oldest of 8 children and I love it! My parents had 5 children in less than 6 years, had a 10 year gap, then had three more within a year and 4 months. We are all named with D's. All of our names have two syllables and none of us have middle names. My youngest sister is 17 1/2 years younger than me.
17. With the above mentioned naming of children, I swore that I would never do that. Isn't it amazing the things that you promise yourself you will never do with your kids. Yeah, we all do it. Well I did it with this one. My kids all start with "K." In my defense, I wanted to name my youngest one something else but my hubby didn't want him to feel left out. So, I conceded and actually really like his name a lot now.
18. I really like to watch movies but, I rarely get out to a theater to watch them. Then, I forget what I wanted to see and miss it on DVD as well. I am a movie snob though and don't go along with the "fads." Some of my very favorite movies are odd ones that have been recommended and shown primarily at film festivals. However, my brother talked me into watching "Blades of Glory." I actually kind of liked it, for some moronic reason.
19. I enjoy making goals and resolutions. I am a very visual person though and I make vision boards (I know that they are getting a bad rap because of that chick on The Bachelor.) I think of the things that I want to accomplish, find a picture to match and attach it to a poster board. I keep the board in my sewing room and look at it every day. It is amazing how much that helps me accomplish my goals.
20. I am addicted to my kiddos. I absolutely in love with them and love spending time with them. Yes, there are times that I wish that there was an off button. For the most however, I really enjoy their personalities and the cute conversations that they conjure up. My favorite thing is when I give them my full attention, I notice how radiant their little souls are and it makes me want to be a better person.
21. Up until a few years ago, I had really long, blonde hair that was perfectly straight. I was able to wash it and let it air dry and it would dry and look great. However, I would put it up in curlers all the time. Not only did I look like a cotton ball through all of high school but, I didn't realize how good I had it to have straight hair. Now after having kiddos, it is SUPER curly and I no idea how to get it to look good that way. Straight iron all the way baby! Go figure.
22. I was robbed blind while I was living in the Caribbean. One night, while I was asleep, someone broke into my house and stole everything I owned except for the huge mega 200 count package of tampons that I had. I could tell that the thief had no idea what they were. It still makes me laugh and that was the one thing that I am glad that they didn't take!
23. I have learned from personal experience that it is possible to forget how to ride a bike. Not my most proud moment. After several years of not riding one, I hopped back on a bike and in front of hundreds of people lined up to watch a parade, I steered myself right into a electricity pole. Now coincidentally, bike riding is one of my favorite stress relievers.
24. I love to write and keep several notebooks at once. I started keeping a journal but stopped after I realized that I only wrote when I was angry or upset. So, now I have switched to a blog. It works for me. I keep it real, add pictures and at the end of the year I put it into a book. It keeps me sane. Let me know if you want an invite.
25. I had a hard time turning 30. Now, I wouldn't go back for all the money in the world. I have learned that life is to short for grudges, regrets, anger or resentment. Now, I love where I am. Living a simple yet extraordinary life. Cheesy but true.

5 comments:

Banks Family said...

All I have to say is that I did not say all of your clothes were ugly. I just mentioned that you had such a cute little body that you could buy some real cute clothes. I want to live thru you.

heather said...

Love the tampon thief story..that's a classic. And I know we SAY this over and over again, so maybe we just need to have set days to sew and craft once a month!

Kate Mc2 said...

I too am a pack rat and I'm emotionally attached to every piece of paper in my house...Is there a 12 step program to recover from this?

Baby Monet said...

I am just giving you a hard time Leigh! I love you and I am amazed at how fashionable you are all the time. I will never be able to go shopping without you again!

Heather, come on down. Lets let the kids rule the house and we can make a project!

Kate, I don't think that 12 steps are enough for me. I get depressed looking at my pantry!

Rebecca R. Farnsworth said...

So fun to read! I had no idea your hair had gone curly. I always admired your perfect, straight hair. Not that I am complaining. I've always enjoyed having my curly hair (sometimes wavy, depending on what it decides to do each day...). How long does it take you to straighten your hair? Mine is so thick and has so much bounce, that it used to take close to 2 hours to straighten. A few years ago (this is where I start to sound like a commercial), I saw an infomercial for the True Ceramic Pro. I was desperate to find a straightener that would work for my hair (I'd already purchased 3 or 4 over my life that never got my hair very straight...yes, not even the infamous chi). I checked ebay and found that I could get one for significantly cheaper (because I am a bargain hunter) and found several for sale. I bought the least expensive one I could find, and have LOVED it ever since. When I was in London last month, I fried it by attempting to plug it in w/an adapter instead of a converter. As soon as I got home (no free internet at that hotel), I got back on ebay to get another one. No joke, it only takes me 20 minutes to straighten my hair now! Seriously, it is the best straightener EVER!