Thursday, January 7, 2010

Envy

I know that at times we all have a little bout of envy creep up in our lives. We love someones haircut or we see someone's new shoes and drool a little. We watch others go on fancy vacations or remodel to get their dream kitchen and sigh thinking that someday it will be my turn. We look at how some people are able to keep a perfectly clean home, perfectly behaved children, play piano and sing like a bird, volunteer in the community, be on the PTA board, bake so much that they leave their left over chocolate croissants on your doorstep all the while professing that you are helping them by helping her get rid of them.

Yes, I envy these people. I want to be just like them but, somewhere between envy and motivation to do it myself, I seem to be missing a stepping stone or two. I just can't get it done. I can't seem to fit it all in. Ok, if I was to be honest, I can't fit most of it and somedays any of it in! Then the vicious cycle of envy starts all over again. I know. I am sure that I have completely staked out my little red patch of real estate in a very warm place in the after life :)

Most of the time I really try to focus on how I can obtain these amazing qualities that come so completely natural to some people. Meanwhile, the true me creeps up and takes over and I am left right where I started.

This past weekend, I visited with a friend that is shortly moving across the planet to live in New Zealand with her husband and twin 18 month old children. They are leaving a beautiful home in Texas to embark on this amazing adventure. When I asked her if they were going to ship their things down to the land of the Kiwis, she remarked that all they were taking were 8 suitcases. They had sold almost everything they owned and were only storing a few things that fit into the corner of her mother's storage room. She mentioned that it was rather liberating. I found myself envious. Very envious.

How often are we all so impressed with people that own next to nothing? Not so much. However, in this instance, I couldn't not have been drooling more over the idea of having nothing. In my own life, I have felt that "stuff" has immensely complicated my life and how if I only had half of it, I would be a much happier person.

I say that and then I find some new trinket that I just can't live without. I go through my home on a mission to get rid of things and I get a good start only to become overwhelmed with where to start and soon give up. So many times I have wondered what it would be like to just start over from scratch.

As part of my New Year Resolution of bringing more joy and peace to my life, family and home, I have decided that everything must go. I am taking on the advice of several friends on this matter. I am going to work as though I am moving. Really. I am not planning a move anytime soon but, I know that someday it will happen and I might as well get ready!?!

I am going to hit my envy head on and work with it and see what I can do to make the situation better. I am going to every day look around as I go about my day and see what I would like to take with me and what I don't. If I wouldn't move it, I am not going to keep it! It is gone, outta here regardless of need, monetary or sentimental value. Also, I am taking the advice of design expert Peter Walsh and I am going to take out a bag of trash and a bag of goodwill every day. If I am able to do that, the simplification will come sooner than later.

Hopefully, with these steps, I might be able to redeem myself slightly and turn my envy into something productive and beneficial to my family. Wish me luck!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I know exactly what you mean and feel the same way. I too need to simplify and feel that giving stuff away, throwing stuff out, getting rid of material things (how ever you want to say it) is a good start for me on how to simplify my life so my "things" don't start to consume me and my family! Surprisingly I just finished sorting through two of my bookshelves, taking three grocery bags of books to my car to be donated. It feels so good to simplify and de-clutter my bookshelf and my life. I've never heard of Peter Walsh, but I like his style...and the insight you bring into my life by letting me read your blog! :)

Melinda said...

Amazing people never think they are amazing. You should know.

I had the same thought about decluttering today. The mess makes me crazy. I started with one grocery back of toys the kids will never miss. I like your idea of doing a little each day. I think I'll give that a try.

rusted sun said...

I have to be honest that while I might have seemed confident about the idea of moving to the other side of the world with nothing more than 2 suitcases each, I am actually a bit frightened. There is something comforting about all our stuff. It binds us to the past, our memories, our triumphs and our trails.
At the same time and I feel so liberated to not have to worry about taking care of my "stuff". I certainly will get more stuff to replace the things we have sold or given away, I am hoping that I will be a little more cautious when I bring things into my home, because it means at some point that I will have to pack it up again and take move it back to the other side of the world.