Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Sweet Moment

My little Toad has such a strong personality that I so often miss the sweet things that he does. He is extremely independent and determined. He is very particular about when I get to hold him and what he wants at each and every moment.

In the mornings, while the older two are in school, it is just us. He shadows me most of the time as I clean or muddle about the house. He will occassionally find a toy or something to distract his attention momentarily but, for the most part, we hang out, play baseball and indulge his love for chocolate.

This morning, I was cleaning the kitchen and he wanted to be picked up. I told him to wait just a moment until I was finished. He looked up with those enormous eyes and pleaded, "Mommy, I hold you. Pease!" I secretly love that my kiddos say, "I hold you" because the mimic me saying, "Can I hold you?"

I dropped everything and picked up my little (30 pound) Toad and looked into those giant eyes sporting a smile from ear to ear. A soft Christmas song came over the radio at that moment and he put his head down on my shoulder and softly asked "Dance mommy. I dance with you."

With my eyes filling with tears, we slowly dance around the kitchen. I was so overcome. Toady never puts his head down on my shoulder anymore. Ever. In fact, he is such a daddy's and grandpa's boy lately that it hard for me to even coax a kiss and hug out of him. However, for that moment, I had him all to myself and he wanted to dance with ME!

We continued to dance around the kitchen for 2 song in a row. They were soft and sweet and so very calming. By the third song, he was done. He wanted down and started begging for the bottle of bleach on the counter top. I guess that is what Willy Nelson will do to you at Christmas time. However, I am just thrilled that I got to spend a whole 5 minutes having Toad all to myself. Another memory to tuck away and remember forever!

1 comment:

Michele said...

That is so sweet. What a wonderful memory you get to hold forever.