


I had a great conversation today with an old friend about finances. My friend is a financial planner and we were discussing smart investments and the importance of having yourself "set" in life. By discussing, I mean, I was only adding the small 2 cents that I have to offer while gleaning from the free advice being offered in my direction.
The conversation made me think. I do have the tendency to get caught up in the "things" that life has to offer. However, I have made a conscious effort to put those things aside and just be grateful for the things that I have. I have to tell you. Some days it is tough. Yes, I do sometimes wish that I didn't have to live on a budget. Yes, I do sometimes wish that I could buy that super awesome amazingly beautiful parade of homes mansion that is ridiculously out of my price range. Do I wish that that we were making $650K a year? Heck ya!
But we don't, and surprisingly enough, I am ok with that. This doesn't mean that I don't have plans and ambitions to better my position in life, but I am happy with where I am right now. Many years ago, there was a sentence mentioned at conference by President Hinckley that was burned into my brain. I think for good reason too. I think that the Lord would know my struggles with bouts of jealousy or my desire for things that would stretch me economically.
"We have been counseled again and again concerning self-reliance, concerning debt, concerning thrift. So many of our people are heavily in debt for things that are not entirely necessary. When I was a young man, my father counseled me to build a modest home, sufficient for the needs of my family, and make it beautiful and attractive and pleasant and secure. He counseled me to pay off the mortgage as quickly as I could so that, come what may, there would be a roof over the heads of my wife and children." Gordon B. Hinckely
I think that this has been what has kept me happy for where I am. We do have a modest home, in my opinion, for our station in life. For others a $700K home may be modest for them and I am ok with that. I am thrilled for my friends that are able to be in that situation. We would just be living on Ramen if we were to do that :)
I feel very strongly that we were led to this house. We have had so many life changing experiences just due to the fact that we purchased this particular house. As for making it beautiful, I am trying. That seems to be the never ending pitfall. But, hey, I am loving every minute of it.
I think that I compare myself to many of the people from my mission and I can not tell you how blessed I am. Their homes are a lot more modest than mine and they are completely happy. They are just happy that they have homes. I need to be more like that. Thanks for indulging me!


3 comments:
I hear ya' sister. I feel the blessings everyday. I look at my dishwasher, washing machine, a box of light bulbs to change out new ones, and constant electricity and can't believe how spoiled we are.
You have a very lovely home and should always be proud of it no matter the state it is in because it ALWAYS has love and the Spirit there.
Oh, I don't want to give off the impression that I don't like my house. I LOVE my house and still to this day haven't found a floor plan that I like better. I just is nice sometimes to get hit in the head with reality.
Gina, no kidding on the washing machine thing. Can you believe that all of our clothes had to be washed by hands. People make fun of me when I say that we had maids but, there is no way in the world we could have done this any other way.
I am just loving the memories that all of these pictures are bringing back. I feel like I am 22 again!
Post a Comment