Saturday, February 21, 2009

Caving In


I started hearing about the "Twilight" books a couple of years ago from my good friend Sherrie. She talked about this LDS author that wrote of a lovestory between a vampire and a human. The whole thing sounded very hokey. I had absolutely no interest in reading it.

Over the past few years, I have seen that rage that has started surrounding this series. It had women going nuts. Whenever I mentionted to people that I hadn't read them, they would look at me as though I had just climbed out of a swamp. I did however, have reasons for not reading the books.
1. I had heard that the first book was great but they all went downhill from there. I don't like to start a series on a downward spiral. That just isn't right.
2. The whole idea of vampire and human love just sounded cheesy and stupid.
3. I tend to go anti-trend. If it is what "everyone else is doing" I tend to avoid it. That is of course, unless my gal pals convince me of it.

So, the other night, my friend Nikki, came over to help me figure out Shutterfly and invited me to go to the "Twilight" movie with her. I confessed that I still had not read the book. She about flipped. Immediately, she clicked out of shutterfly and onto the Stephenie Meyer website and proceeded to show me all of the trailers, the sneak peaks, the playlists, the "Edward" version, EVERYTHING! She was so utterly enthusiastic about it that it actually started to peak my interest a bit. I asked Harvey to get my copy of the first book out of my car (yes, I did have one and it had been in a storage compartment in my car for over a year.) Of course, it wasn't there. Who knows what happened to it. But now, I was at the point where I wanted to read the book and was frustrated that I didn't have one.

Nikki to the rescue! She came over the next day and lent me her copy. I started reading it a little less than enthusiastic, but curious. Now, I am about 2/3 way through the book and I do have to say, not bad. I will say this, for being a completely clean book, I can certainly see where it was getting its hype from. I think that in my next life, I may just need to find myself a vampire!

4 comments:

Melissa C said...

I just saw the movie last night with my niece and sister-in-law. I'd read the books and had the same reactions--first was ok, the rest were not my favs but I still had to read them to know what happened. Anyway, it's funny how addicting they are but I have no desire to re-read them like I do most good books.

Kate Mc2 said...

Hi Darci!
Just about a month ago I read the Twilight series because I wanted to know what my daughter was reading. Not my favorite, but it's cute! I hope that you enjoy it. The Edward in my mind is much cuter than the one they chose for the film. ;)

Sherrie said...

Should I be offended that you wouldn't take my word for it?? I was the same way at first, nit wanting to jump on the mormom book band wagon, but then I heard the word Vampire. I've always been a vamp nut so that's when I decided to read.

Melinda said...

Welcome to the flock :) They were fun books to read.