Thursday, May 13, 2010

6 Minutes of Fame

A few weeks ago, I got an email from a producer at KSL (a local TV news station) asking me if I would be willing to come in and demonstrate how I make belts on their morning show, Studio 5. I was thrilled. An old friend of mine who is now a reporter at KSL happened upon one of my craft blogs and referred me to the producers of the show. I was thrilled but, anxious because I hadn't yet perfected the belts yet.

I eagerly agreed however and went to work trying to figure out exactly what I was going to do and how I was going to showcase the process. I spent about a week trying to figure out the pattern and the next two weeks went to cranking out belt after belt after belt.


I then thought that the belts needed a bit of a punch so, I started coming up with ways to make them pop. All of a sudden I was having ideas left and right come into my mind on how to make interchangeable, removable buckles.

They also wanted to showcase my blog. That is where I started to panic a bit. I am not that creative when it comes to technology and the organization of a blog. I can figure out how to put up a cute background (thanks to cutest blog on the block) and that is about it. But, I will admit, I am a bit proud of myself. I was able to figure out how to make a blog button, add a twitter button, monetize the blog and set up a facebook group.

So, after a short talley, I realized that for the short 6 minute segment, I put in over 60 hours of work. Unfortunately, it showed on my face the day of the program and I look so tired. I have learned my lesson!

I am so grateful that I had help along the way. Leigh, Kristin and Michele helped me come up with ideas, revamp my blog, go shopping for a new outfit (still wishing that I had bought those amazing jeans but....) and they went with me to the studio to help me get set up. I am glad that they did because I had no idea what I was doing.

All in all, what a great experience. I had such a good time. The link to the video will be up on KSL in a few days. They are having a bit of a glitch with it. I will post a link when it comes out. Until then, check out my blog where I am posting my tutorials daily. Thank you so much Leigh for taking the pictures! I am glad that I have them!

Kristin helping me set up
Setting up!Brooke, the host of the morning show.
Getting ready to air.
Kinda cool shot.
Teaching all of Utah how to make a trendy fabric belt.


Getting geared up with the mic.
This was a nice producer who was helping me get my microphone on. He remembered my dad from when he worked at KSL years ago.
The studio
Explaining a buckle tutorial.

Explaining.
More explaining.

I am rather proud of my bow display that I whipped up at the VERY LAST MINUTE.

A random sampling of the belts. My favorite is the second from the right. It is black with all of those fun grommet things. I have always wanted a belt like that. It never occurred to me that I could just make my own.
What a great morning! Oh.... and by the way, if you want a belt, let me know! I have dozens! Really, I mean it.

3 comments:

Nikki Jenson said...

Darci, you are so creative - and you look fabulous! Congrats on the KSL spot, I hope you have great success from this!

Michele said...

You did such a great job. I love the belts that are stripped and paisley. I really need to get one for myself. You are SOOO talented. And thanks for the mention..I didn't do much...

Unknown said...

You know that I love you, right! I've been sick and I missed the airing of the show and keep visiting the website to see it. I know, I know, lame excuse.
I LOVE the photos of everything and your belts are darling! (Too bad I'm a fatty and if I wore one, no one would ever see it).
Hope business is booming!