I am very tentatively posting this. Mostly because I know who reads my blogs. This is not the best side of Darci but, here it is anyway!
Oh, I am once again humbled in my attempt to get on top of life and flip my house into being the complete organizational utopia that I can so vividly picture in my mind (oh, and by the way, in my mind, it is breathtaking.) I had the motivation, the time, the babysitter, and a really good target date to go through my storage room and get rid of most of it.
Well, I woke up bright and early Thursday to get started taking bites out of that ginormous elephant of mine. I learned a couple of hours into my whole hearted attempt that the job was much larger than I had anticipated. See, I am married to someone loves to help me by clean by putting all the clutter into a box and sticking that box into the storage room (love you sweetie!) I have my own faults when it comes to keeping everything that has ever had a memory to me. No matter how vague that memory may be. So, I am now dragging out box after box after box of random assorted (and I don't use this word lightly) crap!
During my initial excavation of the "secret room" I found several things that just made me laugh. I thought that I would share.
* A candy bar from my mission.
* The match to about 1o pairs of earrings that I had thrown away last month because I couldn't find its partner.
* Letters from boyfriends that I didn't even know that I had (apparently, at one point in time I dated a Todd and I have no recollection of that at all.)
* Awesome blackmail pictures of my good friend Julie from college. Watch out Jules!
* Pictures from dances that I had forgotten all about.
* A wedding invitation of a friend and neighbor that I only met a few years ago. She has been married for longer than I have. Apparently her husband knew my brother and her invitation somehow ended up in my boxes.
* A DARLING boutique outfit that I bought for Kyra. She wore it once and I couldn't ever find it after that. Now it is too small (go figure) sniff sniff.
* A recruitment letter from Harvard that I had forgotten about (Yes, at one time, I was courted by one big wig school!)
* Four or five checks for teaching and tutoring that I had forgotten to cash! Darn! Wish I had that money now.
* Patterns that I absolutely needed at one time, spent way too much money on buying them off of Ebay and then never used and forgotten about.
* MORE fabric, notions and ribbon. Like I need more of that. Any takers for the excess!
* My cute, chubby, nakie baby pictures. Ahhh! Now I know where Toad got his proportions from.
* My old journals. I opened it up and read exactly what I was looking for in a husband in April 1996!
* My old yearbooks. I should call some of those phone numbers sometimes!
* My old box of college recipes. I don't want to revisit that since I gained 20 pounds in college and didn't even realize it!
Anyway, I know that I am ashamed to admit that I have all of this still stored in my house. I should really hire a company to come and do this so that I don't have to worry about having to part with things that I have an emotional attachment to. However, I have had a good start and hopefully will finish it this week.
Friday, June 19, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


4 comments:
I didn't help much either chatting with you on the phone so much that day!
I totally would love some of your sewing stuff!!! I will be over soon.
Just think of it this way, it took you how many years to gather all that stuff? Well it will take half as long to get rid of it and anything shorter than that, you can consider an awesome accomplishment. And some things you keep, like the letters from the bf and Harvard! Some things can never be replaced and when your kids are in high school, they will know what life was like for their mom. Maybe they just need to but put in a "scrapbook" rather than a box to be lost again.
You should be proud for even trying.
I have an emotional attachment to everything too! I understand why you keep things because I have all that stuff too!...my daughter, on the other hand, loves to throw things away! She has OCD and there isn't a sentimental bone in her body...let me know if you need to borrow her to help you throw things out. ha ha ha!
Yes, but am I wearing the cute pajamas that you are in MY blackmail pictures of you? We should post them together and see whose are more embarrassing!
Oh boy do I have bins and bins of stuff! I am doing better but I can so relate!!! Poor Todd has about had it with the clutter in our closet. but it IS SO FUN to find old photos and hence my collection on Facebook :) Sometimes it is good to be a collector.
Post a Comment