Saturday, November 15, 2008

Art Niche or Art Glitch???

Our basement is well on its way to being finished and I could not be happier. Well, yes I could. I would be a lot happier if the basement was completely finished, the contractors were paid and gone, the doors were hung, the wall heaters were complete, the rooms were painted and we were all moved back in and enjoying our basement. But I digress.

As happy as I am with the progress, I am a bit concerned with a certain aspect of the basement. The art niche. As our frames was getting ready to take care of a wierd little space near our secret room, he was struck by creative ingenuity. He suggested an art niche facing the staircase with glass shelving and a light on top. Then underneath there would be an open cubby.

I was thrilled with this idea and thought that it would look great. Well, I am not so sure anymore. The niche is rather narrow and the top is very arched. It is so arched that our sheetrock guy had a hard time trying to get the arch finished. I don't know if we can even get the light in. I think that it looks kind of like an alter or something that you might find on a cathedral. Maybe I should get a gargoyle and put it in there. What do you think?

2 comments:

Michele said...

I am on a quest to fill your niche...

me and my boys said...

When I ran the gargoyle idea by Xander, first he asked what a gargolye was then he said a tombstone would look much better. So there you have it, Art suggestions from a 5 year old obsessed with the dead...hmmm, maybe you should stick with the whole alter idea...okay - I got nothin'.