Wednesday, December 3, 2008

New School


After much deliberation, we decided to move Kyra to a new school. It was a big decision on our part but we are certainly confident in our decision to put her in a new environment. The whole process went very smoothly. I was able to meet with the principals from both schools. They were both so amiable, understanding and cooperative. We were so excited to get the track and teacher that we wanted.


We had Kyra at a special permit school. We originally moved her there to start Kindergarten. The school had a fantastic reputation and I wanted to get the best education for my child. However, I have learned that reputation is only a small drop in the bucket. I kick myself because, I KNOW that. I was a teacher (am a teacher...)


We could not be more thrilled with the situation that Kyra is in now. Kyra is now at a school with the other kiddos that she has grown up with and are in our ward. She has a fabulous teacher that everyone is singing praises about. The teacher was so kind and rearranged her classroom so that Kyra could sit by her friends. This was invaluable. She really needed to start off the new school with strong friendship bonds. The teacher is sending home homework and daily progress reports with all of her kiddos. Isn't that great!


To boot, one of my very best friends, Leigh, works at the school and has been keeping an eye on her. Kyra was so excited that Leigh talked to her in the lunch room. It is nice to have someone there "just in case."


A lot of times in my short life as a parent, I close my eyes, grit my teeth and pray that I am making the right decision. I didn't make this change as a knee jerk reaction but, I was still making a leap of faith. In my opinion, we made one great leap!


Kyra is thrilled to be in her new classroom. She thinks that her teacher is soooooooo nice. She is excited to have friends and to feel important. She came home from school yesterday and announced that that was the best day ever. Today she came home and announced that today was better than yesterday. Yeah! We are on an upward spiral. I can't wait to see how she progresses.

5 comments:

Kate Mc2 said...

Yay! I'm so happy that Kyra is happier at her new school! I hope that it works out better for her! She looks adorable with her cute little bow! Love it!

Michele said...

She looks so excited and happy. What a blessing that you had the option of being able to move her around.

Sherrie said...

It's a tough choice, one we may have to make next year. I think you made a good choice, I liked that school much more than where we are now!

heather said...

I am so glad she is loving it! What a relief I am sure. She is such a cutie, my girls ask about her all the time!

Banks Family said...

Kara really enjoys having Kyra at school. She loves showing her the ropes. I enjoy having her at the school also. She always has a smile for me.