
A little over a year ago, a friend of mine, for allergy reasons, put her entire family on a gluten free/casein free diet. That means no wheat or milk of any kind. She was completely frustrated by this because she is a fabulous cook and this dramatically impacted her cuisine. I remember telling her that it was a good thing that that was her trial and not mine. She was able to handle it. She is such a cuilary genius that she is able to adapt so many recipes to the needs of her family. My family would starve because I would have no idea what to do.

Well, I didn't knock on wood quickly enough. We have been hit by the same thing. We are now having to take our family on the same diet. Atleast we are going to try it. We have a couple of issues that are going on that we think will be helped by using this diet. We (and by "WE" I mean "I") are not doing this willy nilly but have done research and think that for now, it may be the best option. We are going to jump in with both feet and give it all we have for 6 months and see what happens.

Do you know what this mean!!!!!! I HAVE TO COOK EVERYTHING! It will limit eating out and last minute runs to the grocery store for a frozen lasagna. Wheat or milk is in nearly everything you eat: taco seasoning, salad dressing, soy sauce, tater tots, chicken broth, macaroni, oatmeal... EVERYTHING.

So, please keep your fingers crossed for me that my poor little kiddos don't starve or wither away!


8 comments:
So why exactly do you need to do this? That doesn't sound very fun. I'm sorry you have to do this, but I hope it helps with whatever is ailing your family! Good luck!
Good luck! I knew someone who was allergic to wheat...he ate it anyway. He told me that it was so difficult to eliminate it from his diet that it wasn't worth it. Granted he was in his 50's and it was the difference between a constant rash and not but still...Too bad it isn't already summer and you can't live on fruits and veggies to start with. Talk about cleaning out the system! What I want to know is, how much weight you lose from this. Dairy alone is seriously going to help!
Good luck, Darci! This shouldn't be hard if your family likes veggies and meat without sauces to cover up the taste. I wish you and your family well!
Goodness everyone! Thanks for your support! I am hoping that this helps for the kids sake. I am hoping it doesn't for my sanity sake. I am actually kind of interested to see if I can do it or not! Fun Fun Fun!
Darci, I have so many students on that diet. I have a few GFCF cookbooks that you are welcome to borrow and a large group of parents who have been doing the GFCF diet for years that can give you all sorts of information. Have you read "Special Diets for Special Kids"? That one has so many different diets in it. After reading about some of the other diets, GFCF will seem like a snap! Anyway, believe it or not there ARE things you can eat if you go out to eat or just run to the grocery store. My boss is probably the best one to ask about all of it, as she has extensively researched it all. I can put you in contact with her if you'd like. She's awesome and is so full of knowledge! The GFCF diet can make a HUGE difference for some kids, and have little to no effect on others. I hope it works for you in the way that you need it to work. I've knocked on wood a number of times on the GFCF thing. So many times, in fact, that I am BOUND to have at least one kid who will more than likely need that diet, or even the ketotonic (sp???) diet, which I DREAD. :) Let me know if you could use any of my books or other resources. :) Best of luck to you!
Yikes! I had to do the no milk thing for a few months and I thought I'd go crazy! You poor girl :(
Now I know who to blame for the economic crisis. :)
Best of luck on your new diet. I have a friend who is on a glutten free diet and she posts all her recipes to a blog. http://whatsonmymenu.blogspot.com/
You would have to adapt them to be dairy fee to, but hopefully it helps.
My sister has kids who have the gluten allergy and can't eat wheat. They have come a long way now and can make so many things. If you ever want more infomation email me.
Post a Comment