Saturday, October 24, 2009

Project Runway... Darci Style

Designers... Your challenge this week is last minute Halloween Costume.
*You will have a budget of $6 to spend at the thrift shop.
*You will have 12 hours to complete this project.
*For this project, you will be placed in teams of two. *
One partner will have sewing skills but be completely overwhelmed with getting the house clean, the kids fed and into bed and will still have to plan a kindergarten Halloween party for the next day.
*The other partner will be a complete gimp with a severed thumb, no sewing skills what-so-ever but, be a creative genius.
* The winner of this challenge will not be given immunity but, will have to up at the crack of dawn to get three kiddos ready for school in costume.
* If you lose this challenge, you will lose the respect of you child and this project will be known as one of their most embarrassing moments of all time.

Good Luck designers and Make It Work!!!


Sooo.... The rest of the story is this:

Kyra wanted to be a genie for Halloween. A good friend of mine came over a few weeks ago and helped me construct a cute pair of pink genie pants and part of a vest. However, the pink pants just weren't fitting well and I completely messed up the vest. Here I was left at the last possible moment with no costume for Kyra.

I headed off to Savers to see if they were selling a Genie costume. I wasn't thrilled about purchasing one but, I was desperate. No luck. They had nothing. But, I did find this cute little number. It was a Indian inspired skirt and top. Purple with orange. My sister and I saw potential so, we bought the set and headed home.

We loved the top but decided to change all of the orange to lilac and gold. We thought that it would be a no brainer and that we could glue and sew all of the trimming on. Oh, were we wrong. About an hour into the project, I cut the skirt and made it into pants. After I was finished, it looked like a Cher disco suit so, I scrapped the whole idea of using the purchased costume. I very nearly grabbed one of Kyra's many fairy costumes that I have made and forced her to wear that.


My cute sister kept echoing, Make it Work. So, we did. We raced to the basement to pillage through my stores of fabric and trimming. Finally, having and arsenol of tacky, gawdy, craft stuff paid off. We were able to manage to pull everything together for her costume from my basement. We had chains, sequins, jewelry, and fabrics of every color. Soon it looked as though the circus had blown up in my kitchen.


The vest finally started coming together. I found great purple sheer fabric in one of my MANY fabric boxes downstairs and fashioned some rather nifty pants. The shoes were the main object of kyra's affection and they were a must have for her costume (foretelling???)

We finished the costume at 3:00 a.m. Her cute jacket has so much beading, trim and glue on it that it acts more like a bullet proof vest than a Halloween costume. The pants, not bad. The shoes, I loved. I made up the pattern for them and my sister decorated them. All in all, it was a fun costume.


The next morning, Kyra was thrilled to see the new costume. However, she did ask for us to glue more jewels onto the pants. Goodness. She is more into glitz and glamor than I had expected. Politely, we told her that she looked just fine.

Now, my only concern now. On the real Project Runway, I am sure that they have a crew to pick up their messes and clean up their spaces. On my Project Runway, I am the crew and my mess is really quite extensive. That is always the part of the creative process that I hate. The finished product made it worth it though!

3 comments:

Foust Family said...

I'm glad it worked out! She looks so adorable! You are so talented!

me and my boys said...

Love it! I especially love the ensuing disaster - no one ever said creativity was an organized talent, take me for example, 100% organized and not a stitch of creativity :) She looks adorable!

Kate Mc2 said...

DARLING!! I love your talent!! It turned out beautiful! Good job!!