This evening, I had invited everyone over for a taco bar dinner and a chance to dye eggs. Ok, so my plot was really to get more adult supervision and hopefully able to double team the kiddos in their colorful adventures. This is how the evening went from timid and mild to insane.
At the beginning of the evening, Grandpa quickly sequestered himself into a different room. He had been researching different ways to dye an egg and had come up with a really cool method. However, for reasons known only to him, he needed to have a workspace all to himself. He makes me smile.
The rest of the family paired off and picked a kiddos to help out. Danza and her friend, Tyler, picked Toad.
Bear and Dad made a great team. Bear was bound a determined to do it all on his own.
Toad LOVED it.
My cute sister in law Jac, hasn't dyed eggs in years. She was excited to find out that I had boiled 7 dozen (yes, that is not a typo) and there was enough eggs for everyone to participate.
Nena claimed Derek and Jac to herself.
The whole group.
I LOVE how intense he was over the whole thing.
Grandpa finally finished his pet project and set it to boil and rejoined the rest of us.
No, he is not ready to smack my sis in law. I ended up getting some real eggs that had been dyed, hallowed out and filled with confetti. Grandpa convinced Jac that it was a real egg and that it was a family tradition that the newest member of the family had to be egged. She was SUCH a good sport. I actually snapped the picture a split second after she got egged. I wish that I had captured the look on her face.
Nena quickly stepped up to the plate and volunteered to be confetti egged.
The eggs continued to get stranger and stranger as the night progressed.
As did the family with the dozens of confetti eggs that we had lying around.
Yep, even I smashed on on grandpa.
I hope that one day, when Derek and Jac have kids, they look as lovingly on their offspring as they did at this egg. They were so proud.
Seeing as how it was their six month anniversary, the magic and honeymoon was over. So, she gave him what he deserved.
And Toad LOVED it.
Nena laughed her head off.
Kaeson tried to get dad.
Then, Derek going along with the egg theme, didn't question an egg that turned out to be REAL.
But, he is so mellow that he just smiled.
Even with egg all over his face, beard and clothes.
The damage. We can make quite the mess.
Once the eggs were dyed, some people grappled as to what to do next. Well, that was a no brainer to some. Blowing up peeps in the microwave seemed to be the next logical choice of events. Notice who has taken charge of the kiddos at this point.
Yep, he is the pied piper of my kiddos. Probably because he is just a giant 6 year old himself.
And viola! The pet project is unveiled. My dad used silk to dye his eggs.
He was SO proud that his idea had worked.
I LOVE this picture of my dad. Whenever something works out for the good with my dad it just makes me smile. He is such an amazing guy and when things go his way we all do a silent cheer!
Then again, you can go to far with things.
Pleased, satisfied, and accomplished. All over 6 little eggs.
That turned out pretty darn amazing if you ask me.
Seriously! Isn't that beautiful.
Then came the shoving of random items into hallowed out egg shells. Bear was THRILLED to find a peep in an egg. He is still theorizing on how the peep got into the egg.
Like I said, she was excited over eggs.
Then, after reminiscing of old family stories, these two conjured up the brilliant idea of blowing up hard boiled eggs in the microwave. Seriously.... do your egg dying evenings ever go this far?
Again, he is just a giant 6 year old. Don't you just LOVE it.
Dad reenacting the exploding of the egg.
The mess. I am so glad that dad cleaned it up for me.
To continue on with the partying attitude. Jac decided that for just one evening, she would like to be a transformer, power ranger, or whatever that helmet is for. The helmet was so excited to be out for the evening that it decided to hang out for a while. She couldn't get it off!
Then what Easter evening is complete without out a peep eating contest. Here goes Jac.
Then Derek.
He won. This pict was taken just moments before the peeps hit his gag reflex and he made a mad dash for the waste basket.
I love the way our family evening turn out. You REALLY have no idea where things are going to go. I wish you all a very Happy Easter and hope that your evening of egg dying (if that is what you do) was just as great and crazy as ours was.


1 comment:
I've got to adopt myself into your family. We can't seem to have a gathering that doesn't include a few rants about Obama and our nation's imminent doom. A little silliness would do us good.
Post a Comment