Monday, April 19, 2010

Two Weeks Notice


Sounds ominous doesn't it! Actually.....

I have been wanting to make this post for a very very long time and finally have reason to do so. It has now been 2 weeks since I cut off our satellite programming! WOOO HOOO!

Don't get me wrong, I love TV and will admit that sometimes I have watched a tad too much. However, after a long (several month) chat with myself, I decided that it was all in all unnecessary for me and my little life.

I would turn the TV on in the morning to entertain Toad while I was cleaning house or taking a shower. I would turn it on in the afternoon to catch up on the latest world drama. I will also admit that I LOVE Project Runway, The Bachelor, TBS and Lifetime. I would just look at the bill every month and think of the other things that I should be paying with that money. I just never got up the guts to pull the plug.

So, determined in my mind to put the money to a better use, I did it. I cut the cord. It is gone. Never to return again. And do you know what.... I don't regret it. In fact, I LOVE it. The kiddos haven't asked ONCE to turn on the TV. I have noticed that instead of staring at the screen, they are getting out the toys and playing together. They are being more creative. They are talking more. They are sharing ideas more.

Today was the first day that someone asked to watch something. I simply told them that we weren't going to have TV anymore but, that on non school nights, we could watch a video. They seemed pleased. Nena even piped up, "We are on an I diet." When I asked her what she meant she said, "Information diet."

So, I knock on wood as I write this because I am so enjoying the peace that is coming from a home without commercials. However, I will take any peace that I can get at this point.

3 comments:

Jaclyn, Brandon, Ava & Emma said...

Good luck! It's rough at first I wont sugar coat it but after a while it gets easier. We now just have shows that are on the regular tv stations. altho i do miss my lifetime I LOVE that channel :)

Nikki Jenson said...

I went on a TV diet years ago and have never looked back. (I am a little out of sink with the world I admit)... but I love my extra time!

Melinda said...

Good job. I think it's something everyone should try. I have loved the difference in my home since we turned ours off. We do still watch it at night, but the rule is that it doesn't come on until after 5. I wouldn't mind getting rid of it completely, but there is no way hubby would go for it.