Tuesday, July 14, 2009

The Gap

In this modern day world of ours, there are so many different gaps.


There is "The Gap"

Gaps in the sidewalk.

Gaps in the Subway (I wouldn't know. Never been to New York.)

Gaps in Lands Afar (Again, guessing here.)

Gaps in teeth.


Generation Gaps

Age Gaps

The Goal Gap

When I was in my Master's Degree program, one of my classes was on the theories in education. As boring as that may sounds, I actually found it quite intriguing. It turns out that it was one of my favorite courses.

During the discussions that ensued with all of the different theories, there was one that jumped out to me and caught my attention. I related immediatly to it and have thought about it a lot over the years. Now, this is by far the easiest, simplist and most "duh" of all of the theories but, I gleaned a lot from it and actually have applied it to my life.

The Gap theory, simply put, is the gap that is left between your current situation (ideas, roles, state of mind, state of being, you name it) and your goal. This is not unlike New Years Resolutions. It is identifying the current situation, the desired situation and how to close in on that gap!

As I look at my life and the situations that I have put myself into, I realize what is me and what is not me. I see where I have been in life, where I currently am and where I want to be. I look at who I am and who I want to be and see the gigantic gap between the two. I am trying to identify them and figure out how to lessen that gap. I am finding it quite interesting, fun and challenging all at the same time. I see who I want to be and get so much more motivated to acheive that goal. I will let you know how it goes.

Thanks for indulging me.


1 comment:

Michele said...

Thanks for not putting my picture on your blog for the generation gap because our gap is 2 years more than theirs.
My great grandparents et al lived in the Appalachians and used to traverse between different gaps there for their moonshine running.
Gaps are an interesting thing.