Monday, April 6, 2009

Decisions Decisions Decisions

I have had this topic on my mind a lot lately. I thought that I would just throw it out into the void.

Have you ever stopped to think about all of the decisions that we have to make. We make decisions every moment of every day (I am deciding to type this up at 11:30 at night when I really should be going to bed.) Most of the time, these decisions are small, mundane and have no bearing on the eternal outcome of our existance. However, sometimes these decisions, no matter how small they are, do play a part in the shaping of our lives, minds and souls.

In the movie, "Mr. Destiny," Larry gets the opportunity to go back and redo the moment that he has regretted his entire life. This time, he hits the winning home run ball making him a high school hero. That one moment completely reshaped his entire life. Instead of being a normal, middle class, blue collar worker, he is now insanely wealthy, married to the prom queen and living the life of luxury. In the end ***SPOILER ALERT**** he learns that even though his life is absolutely amazing since he hit the ball, he really misses his simple former life.

Now, not every decision that we make could put us in a different situation, make our lives better or worse or change who we are as people. It is interesting to look back at our lives though and think of the chain of events that have led us to who we are now and how we got to where we are. There are moments that we wouldn't change for the world. Adversely, hindsight is 20/20 and there are a lot of things that we would do differently if we had the chance.

If I had a chance to go back and do it all over, there are some things that I would keep exactly the same. There are some things that I would absolutely change. There are some things that I would chance and leave up to fate. Although there really is no room for regret in life, I do wonder.

Things I Would Have Changed:
* I wouldn't have lost contact with roommates.
* I wouldn't have signed up for credit cards just for the free gift.
* I would have changed my major at Ricks.
* I would have learned to throw away earlier.
* I would have said YES a time or two.
* I would have said NO a few times too.
* I would have relaxed.
* I would have seen the writing on the walls.
* I would have taken some advice.
* I would not have put my hair in curlers every day.
* I would have learned the joy of working out earlier.
* I would not have worked at Burger King or Hardees.
* I would not have spent so much money...especially on crafts.
* I would not have moved in with my in-laws while we were buying our house.
* I would not have gotten the cats.


Things I Would Keep the Same:
* I still would have gone on a mission
* I still would have gotten my master's degree.
* I still would have stood up for what I believed.
* I still would have changed my degree the day before graduation.
* I still would have learned to sew.
* I still would have driven my Fiero.
* I still would have become a teacher.
* I still would have had my bonding moment with my roomies in college.
* I still would have had my kiddos.
* I still would have moved to my current house.
* I still would have driven through the terrible storm to see my Grandma. It was last time I ever saw her.
* I wouldn't have missed marriage for the world.

I am sure that there are more but, I am now choosing to go to bed. I don't think that this will have an eternal impact on my foreverhood but, it may affect how I function tomorrow!

1 comment:

Michele said...

I think you have made some wonderful decisions in life because you are one of the greatest people I have ever known. I would prefer if you didn't change a thing because it has made you who you are and I love you for it.