Saturday, April 11, 2009

Goals

Most people start off a New Year with a fresh set of resolutions. Well, I decided to skip the whole New Year's resolution thing this year. I figured that since I was going under the knife and would be out of commission for some time, that I would put if off until a later date. Well, apparently my resolution to procrastinate worked better than I had expected. I was able to put it off almost completely.


However, I have since decided that it is about time to start making some goals so that I am able to get my life rolling in a good and productive direction. I work much better if I have a vision and know what it is that I am trying to acheive. A lot are works in progress (the have appeared on previous lists) and others are new to the list.

Recently, I was accused of not being a planner. This statement hit me harder than I thought that it would. I don't like having that reputation. I am going to make a conscious effort to plan ahead and become better friends with my calendar. I am not going to forgo spontenaity or give up flexibility completely. However, I don't think that it will hurt for me to put more thought into the when and where's in my life.


I know that this one seems very cliche. It seems to be on everyone's list. This year though, it is going to be my kicker year for getting into shape. I am done having children, I am healed from my surgery, and my children are to an age where they can entertain themselves for a little while to allow me time to work out. I feel like I don't have too far to go and that the goal is actually attainable. I really enjoy reading. With young children, it seems like finding time to read gets lost with all that "has" to be done. Between cleaning the house, working with the kiddos, running errands, home improvements, trying to work on my business, calling poison control and cooking, there just doesn't seem to be enough time in the day to work in the novels. I am trying to work it in at night before falling asleep but, somedays I only get in a sentence or two.It is no secret that my kids are my life. I really need to spend more quality time. I want to really kick it into gear this year and get out and about with them! They are only little once and I want to take advantage of it!

Oh, am I ever behind on my food storage. I really need to kick this one into gear and get a move on it. My dad puts me to shame. He has an amazing food storage, has a generator hooked up to the house that can run the entire house with power, several alternative heat sources, 500 gallons of water, etc. etc. etc. I could maybe keep my family alive for two weeks. I need to work on adding to mine or move in with my parents!
I am really excited that my designs are getting more popular. The more people see them, the more they are being requested. I am going to get this little boutique idea off the ground and running. I have purchased my web domain and a skeleton of a site is up and running. This year, I will get more items on Ebay and more patterns on Etsy.

Stress can happen to anyone. It seems like it has hit me a little bit more often over the past little while. I am going to learn to take more deep breaths, learn a few more yoga poses, take more bubble baths and not take life so seriously. I just need to think Zen.The other day I was looking around my house and the thought hit me, "When and how did I acquire all of this stupid stuff?" My house is full of all sorts of stuff that I don't need, want, enjoy or even like. So, this year, I am going to take a tip from Oprah's clutter guru Peter Walsh and get rid of 1/3 of everything in my home. Daunting task? Maybe. However, afterwards, I am sure that I will be a much happier person.
If you haven't already noticed, my yard is a little lack luster and leaves a lot to be desired. Quite honestly, I am a bit tired of it. I am going to kick it into high gear (or get someone else kicked into high gear) and get this little piece of potential heaven looking nice and inviting. I love spending time outside and have great memories of playing in my childhood backyard. I want my children to have the same experience.


We all know the condition of the current economy. What a great time to try to improve on the family budget. Now, don't get me wrong, there are a million things that I would rather do. However, I tend to be a little impulsive when shopping. Practicing a little bit more discipline and bettering our budget will only make me a better person...I hope...if I can manage this one.
Along the same lines as the budget thing, I am going to put more of a focus on saving instead of spending. There are some big ticket items that I want to get and the best (and in all honestly only) way to do it to save up for them. I am excited to see if I can do it! Wish me luck!
I am on the eternal cooking learning curve. I enjoy it when I know what I am doing, have the ingredients ready and start early enough in the day. My goal this year is to steer away from take out, frozen convenience foods and spaghetti overload. I am looking forward to challenging myself and making some new, and most likely interesting dishes.




I absolutely love to write. I always keep a notebook in my purse to jot down notes at the doctors office or while waiting to do the preschool pick up. I love to blog and keep several of them going at the same time. It is one place where I have and open forum and can express what I really think. I keep a digital journal. I write down all of the wacky ideas that come to my head in hopes that someday, my children might find me entertaining. This year, I want to get more focused on my writing. I want to do something more that just put it into a blog. I don't know if anything that I write will ever make it to publisher's status, but I would like to try!


Isn't happiness the end all be all of human existence. What are we if we aren't happy? I am generally a very happy person. I have a lot to be grateful for. This year, I am going to make a conscious effort to find the good in every moment and to hold tightly to those that I love. That is what makes life worth living!

1 comment:

Michele said...

You are incredible and I know you will be able to accomplish all you set out to do!