Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Our Trip To Houston



What a whirlwind of a trip. I use the word trip instead of vacation. Vacations are relaxing and enjoyable. This trip was busy with agendas, deadlines and lots of kids. It seemed like we were always driving and eating, driving and eating. Houston is HUGE!!! It takes hours to get anywhere! However, we did have fun. Here is the trip run down.

Day 1: Travel Day! We flew out early in the morning (on the same flight as my inlaws.) We checked too many bags but were thrilled to find that the airlines check all baby items for free! I am still impressed that the kiddos were so good on a three hour flight. We were met at the airport by my brother in law and headed out to his house. We spent the afternoon letting the kids run around like maniacs with their cousins. That evening we went to dinner at a great BBQ place.

Day 2: We picked up my niece from school and headed out to the Houston Aquarium (1 hour and 15 minute drive.) We didn't go to the aquarium but, we did eat at their restaraunt which is next to a huge aquarium. That was pretty neat. The kiddos absolutely loved that. Lunch was followed by a trip on the ferris wheel. Not good for me since I had just eaten. Seafood and carnival rides don't do well for my motion sickness! We then had to race home (nearly a 2 hour drive) to get Sabrina to her baptism. The baptism was really beautiful. I was excited to play piano and flute for it. I jump at the chance to play! Dinner that night was at a great Mexican place that served giant fajitas!

Day 3: Day on the lake. Johnn had to work so, we packed up the car with the kiddos and the inlaws and cousins and headed to Lake Conroe. We rented a boat and spent the afternoon cruising around the lake. The kids were thrilled to eat lunch on the boat. I was thrilled to have a moment of calm when Harvey took the kids to the island. We had a close call with Kelty as someone hit the throttle on the boat unexpectedly and nearly threw the poor little kid overboard. On the way home it was McDonalds milk shakes all the way. I got the kids bathed and dressed in time to leave for dinner. The family wanted to eat a Colombian place (2 hours away) followed by a tour of downtown Houston and a long car ride home.

Day 4: The morning was a lazy day. I put together another lunch and found out that my kids absolultely LOVE and CRAVE bologna. We packed up the cars and headed out to San Antonio to see the Alamo and the River Walk (4 hour drive.) The kids didn't enjoy this ride as well. The river walk was very interesting. We took a boat tour of the river and it was fun to hear all of the history. We didn't make it in time to see the inside of the Alamo. However, we did sneak a peak at the outside. I managed to snap another picture of changing Toad in famous places. He was changed in front of the Alamo. That evening we ate at The Rainforest Cafe. The kiddos LOVED LOVED LOVED this! The four hour car ride home was not fun for the kids. Kelty screamed the last hour and a half. We finally pulled into the driveway at around 2:30 am.

Day 5: We had another lazy morning. The inlaws flew home early and we spent the day packing back up and letting the kiddos play together one last time. We headed to the airport just as the rain started (Houston is currently flooding) but, we took off and stayed just ahead of the weather. This flight was not so great. Kelty had a hard time.

We arrived home on schedule and were met by Lou! Thank you Lou! Lou, Leigh, Bryan and Kara met us at the house where we had a Jazz game get together with pizza and snacks. That night when I got to bed, I think that I was asleep before my head hit the pillow. Not typical for me! However, it was a great evening!

2 comments:

Banks Family said...

So when do we leave the children and go on a no children allowed vacation???

Michele said...

Did you happen to see if Pee Wee's Bike was still at the Alamo? I hear it is in the basement.

What a great trip! This is what memories are made of.