Sunday, November 1, 2009

Dealing With Stress

As a lot of you know, I have had a lot on my plate lately. Isn't it funny how quickly things add up and all of a sudden you look around and go, "Whoa... Where did all of this come from?" Well, that has happened to me. Let me give you a small story.

A few weeks ago, my sister was in a bit of an accident and cut off the top of her thumb with a paper cutter. I was called and immediately rushed to the hospital. I arrived with my hair still wet and carting along Toad (he was picked up shortly thereafter but, he still had to go with me.)

After several hours, the surgeon came in and unwrapped my sisters very bandaged thumb and I guess that it was a bit too much for me at that moment. I am a bit ashamed to admit that I felt myself going woozy and announced to the room that I was going to pass out and did just that shortly after. Now, I am quite upset at that because I have seen much MUCH worse in my life but, at that moment, it was just too much. As quickly as I could, I collected myself from off the ER floor, apologized to those in the room (my sis, my mom and the surgeon) and stood back up with renewed vigor.

The surgeon teasingly asked me if I was done with my drama moment so that he could refocus on my sister. I told him that I was fine and that it was just that I hadn't eaten that day. I am sure that he knew I was covering up my embarrassment because on my laptop bag there was a half eaten sandwich but, he didn't let that one go. "NO, it is not because you haven't eaten, it is because you saw a bloody finger." Everyone laughed. Yep, I was caught. Quickly trying to cover up my loosely woven story, I retorted for everyone to give me a break, I was having a bad day. Again, poor phrasing on my part. The surgeon again looked at me and said, "Your sister is sitting here with half a thumb and YOU are having a bad day." Touche!

However, what he didn't understand was what had preceded that visit to the hospital. Let me give you a short and sweet recap of SOME of the events leading up to my dramatic monopolization of the ER attention. And in no particular order I give you the reason behind my stress.

* The trials that I am already going through plus..... * Medical emergency with my sister * Water being turned off for two days due to clerical error * Kaeson failing yet another eye exam * Brother getting married * Toady cutting off his fingerprint at previously mentioned wedding * Toady falling on his headboard and severely cutting up his lips, gums and tongue *Lice outbreak in Bear's kindergarten class to which Bear fell victim * Mountains of laundry, hair washing, vacuuming and sanitizing everything due to that outbreak * Rush to pick and juice the grapes from my parents back yard before the freeze * Playing catch up with Nena and her math studies * Internet issues * Phone issues * Trying to figure out how to work from home * UEA weekend

Yes, those were seriously all things that happened the week preceding my sister's accident. Now, I know that none of my trials compared to hers but, you have to admit that that was a little bit out of the ordinary. So, if you have noticed me being not quite my chipper little self (although I really am trying to be) just know that I am trying. I look back at that week, and the couple of weeks that have followed it and I just have to laugh! How is it that you get it all at once? You gotta love life and the things that it throws at you!

2 comments:

me and my boys said...

I think you were having a bad day. Go tell that surgeon to take a long walk off a short pier. Love ya!

Kate Mc2 said...

Girl, you had me at UEA Weekend! lol
No one understands until it happens to them. I've had that kind of year myself. We need a chocolate date. When can you pencil me in...in Arkansas or Utah? Keep your chin up, sweetie!