Monday, November 30, 2009

Four Gifts of Christmas





This is not a new idea (surprise surprise) but, I loved it so much that I had to share. With the way of the world right now, I don't know a single person that isn't cutting back a little on Christmas. In my case, we are on a tighter budget than usual but, I have been trying my best to get them everything that I can within that budget. I am still amazed at what I was able to do on my budget. However, I look at it now and still think that I have over done it.

I think that my generation wants so badly to give everything to our children that we miss important lessons that we could be given to our little ones: charity, diligence, appreciation, gratitude and a sense of work. So, I am going to present this idea and say that this will be my goal for next year.

It is the Want. Need. Wear. Read plan. Four presents, one in (you guessed it) each of those categories. What a brilliant idea. Next year I am going to present those categories to my kiddos and let them think about what they would like in each of those four categories and call it good.

They get so many things from their grandparents, aunts and uncles that they barely notice what Santa leaves. I think by getting four things that they would really like would deepen their appreciation and gratitude which is something that is severely lacking at the Franco household this year.

The images are "clickable" and you can use them to download and label the packages that you give to your children.

Again, I think that it is a brilliant idea and I wish that I had thought or heard of it a month ago before I bought the things that I had.

2 comments:

Michele said...

Sounds like a great idea.

Amy said...

Darci, I really like this. I have not started my Christmas shopping because I have been a little bit of a disenchanted grinch this year. This may be just what I need to help me get going! Thanks for sharing.