Thursday, July 17, 2008

Hard to Believe But True

I received an email from a friend yesterday about a story that most people would believe could not possibly be true. However, after reading the email, I realized that not only was it true, but someone must have heard our story and sent it out to everyone. So, though most of you know the story, I am putting it out there for everyone else to enjoy.

Two years ago, I was having a great night out with the girls. We had gone for ice cream leaving our hubbies home to hopefully put the kiddos to bed and keep an eye on them until we got home. Though Harvey hates it when the kids ask "Is Daddy going to babysit us?" that is a very accurate way to perceive it.

This particular evening, I was surprised to come home at 10:30 to a bright eyed and bushy tailed little Kyra. She sat on the floor in our bedroom with an elaborate tea setting set out on our little wooden footstool. She and her daddy were having a nice evening tea party. Well, atleast Kyra was. Daddy was thoroughly engrossed in the Jazz game and was only paying moderate attention to Kyra when a commercial came on.

At first I was touch at the cute little sight but quickly became annoyed that she was not in bed and that he was not paying complete attention to her. After a moment of contemplation, I asked Harvey where she was getting the tea from (as Kyra is quite petite and at the time could not reach the bathroom counters.) He, hardly looking away from the game, told me that she had been getting it from the sink. I asked how. "She is using the little wooden footstool," was his reply. "You mean the footstool that she is using as the tea table." came my retort. A look of concern came over his face as I asked Kyra to show me where she had been getting her water for the tea. She walked me to the toilet and said, "From here mama. And it's even cold." She was beaming from ear to ear, so proud of how resourceful she was.

Harvey started choking and gagging at the thought that he had been drinking toilet water. I asked him how long the tea party had been going on for. "Since the game started, about 2 hours ago." I don't know which came faster, the reply or the green color on his face.

He did learn a valuable lesson that day. That when I ask him to BABYSIT the kids, he had better do it the right way or he will end up paying in the most unique of ways. Toilet water may be one thing but, I am sure that the kids can think up much worse.

And to answer the question that I get asked everytime I tell this story. Yes, the toilet had been cleaned earlier that day. Saved by the flush.

4 comments:

Sherrie said...

That story never gets old, I tell it to people all the time! Gotta love Harvey!

SalGal said...

I'm crying from laughing so hard!!! Never, ever forget that story! It should be told a new parenting classes!

Banks Family said...

Remember you need to send that to the internet show -In the motherhood. Then we could go to California.

rusted sun said...

Wow! That is really funny.