Saturday, July 12, 2008

My Vision Board



Back in February, I was watching an episode of Oprah (don't roll your eyes...just keep reading) and they were duscussing the highly talked about book, "The Secret." I had know about the book and the DVD for some time but thought that it was a bit kooky so I didn't give it much of a shot.


On this particular episode, they kept mentioning a thing called a "Vision Board" and how it had changed the lives of all of these people. After implementing it into their lives, they were more focused, driven and were able to acheive their goals. I was intrigued with the idea. Even though I don't play into the whole idea that Faith - Works = Phenominal Results, I liked the idea of putting your goals in visible, graphical view.





I sat down with a posterboard, the internet, magazines, scissors and a glue stick. I thought about all of the things that I want to accomplish in my life and I found pictures to match it. I love having the board where I see it every day and it helps me concentrate my efforts on the things that I want to accomplish. It has been pretty effective in helping me focus and I have already completed a couple of things on that board.


Harvey and I were sitting at McDonalds with the kids a couple of weeks ago and he asked me if I could have 5 things in life no matter what the cost what would they be. After thinking, I came up with my 5:


1. Have my home and yard completely organized, clean and looking nice.

2. Being comfortable with our finance level. Not rich per say, just able to get our needs covered and have left over for fun stuff and travel without being stressed.

3. Being in better shape and happy with how I look.

4. Having my sewing ideas take off and become something much more.

5. Be able to feel relaxed, calm and at peace knowing that my life is all together and be able to spend time with my kids, especially while they are young.

He was surprised that I didn't have loftier goals but when it came down to brass tacks, these are my dreams. When I came home, I saw the vision board and realized everything on the board could be summed up in my 5 major goals.

On the board are: pictures of what I want rooms to look like in my home, the yard I would like, places I would like to go, sewing designs that I am working on. Etc. Just having my goals in visual form has helped a lot. Since the board, we have gone to Disneyland, I ran the race that I wanted to run, my sewing room is cute and organized (or atleast it was until today) and I am listing a doll tomorrow.

The power of your mind and determination mixed with real righteous desires is very invigorating. I love putting my mind to something and watching it grow. Try it. You will like it.







3 comments:

Sherrie said...

I made one of those back in high school. But it was what you wuld like in a spouse. Interestingly, James had every quality, except the volovo.

Sherrie said...

WOw, I'm sorry I just totally talked all about myself! How rude, anyhow I'm glad you've been able to use this to motivate you! Now come over to my house and get it into shape for me...there I go again!

Faires Bears and Toads said...

Oh Sherrie, You know I love you. You are a great friend. Talk yourself up as much as you want.