Saturday, July 5, 2008

The Franco's Go Camping






Watch out world, here we come. On Thursday, we made the last minute decision to join some friends of ours up on a camping trip (of only one night) for the Fourth of July. Now a lot of you are thinking BIG DEAL.... it's just camping. And for one night no less.




Well, this is the first time that we have been camping and the first time in over 15 years that I have personally gone camping. Althought, I will have to count my mission as one big long camping trip. Yes, I know that my brothers argue that I went on a cruise, but I think that 18 months without consistant light or water, more mosquitos than you can possibly imagine, and 110 degree heat with absolutely no air conditioning (just to name a mild few) can be considered ONE HUGE CAMPING TRIP.


Ok, enough of that soap box moment. We had a great time. The kids became dirtier than you could possibly imagine and loved every moment of it. They loved sleeping in the tent. Kyra did have a mini melt down that she had to go to bed with dirty toes. The kids ran around all day long with butterfly nets and all night with glow sticks.


Harvey and the older two kids slept in the tent and I slept in the back of the van with the baby. I thought that I had a cushy sleeping situation, bug free and all, but was I ever mistaken. Kelty woke up at 2:30 in the morning bright eyed and ready to play. He was completely wired and I have no idea why.


After two hours of him going nuts with the laughing and playing, I had had it. I knew that he had another ear infection so I gave him a dose of Tylenol and one of Benadryl to help relieve the pressure on his ears. Whoa!! Did that open up the flood gates. He was like one of those spinning flower fireworks. He went crazy laughing, rolling over, crawling around and flipping out. I was laughing so hard that I woke Harvey up in his tent and he came over to see if everything was ok. Then, just like the end of that firework, the craziness was gone just about as quickly as it had started and he zonked.


I have to admit that I enjoyed it. I think that I am really looking forward to our next camping trip. Anyone want to go???? Were game.

2 comments:

Sherrie said...

So did you have to go and buy a tent. The line about the kids running around with butterfly nets made me laugh. Are you sure they weren't fairy nets??

Faires Bears and Toads said...

So glad that you are impressed. No, we didn't have to buy a tent, we had one. We ended up buying the Taylor's though because ours was a touch small. We set up both tents and the kids loved playing in the extra one.

I personally think that they were fairy nets. However, since the kids spent most of the time trying to catch Dave and Harvey, we won't call them that for now.