Tuesday, May 19, 2009

The Bachelorette


As I mentioned in my previous entry, I don't care a lot for television. When I do take time to watch it, I am rather particular with what I choose to watch. Yesterday, when I realized that a new season of the Bachelorette was about to begin, I was actually kind of excited.

Now, I think that the whole premise of the show is a little bit hokey. I mean seriously, who wants to tell their grandchildren that grandma and grandpa met on a reality TV show where mommy made out with 25 different men. But, I do love the fact that the whole show revolves around the concept of romance. Well, maybe it is romance on some weird, twisted level, but it is romance just the same.
I guess I do have that little hopeless romantic streak that still is alive and well inside of my plain old soccer mom body. Part of me loves escaping reality for just a little while and watch someone else experience those storybook moments of horseback riding on the beach, lunch at a waterfall, helicopter rides over volcanoes, gondola rides in Venice, private yachts, limousines and millions of dollars worth of diamonds on loan. For me, it is a little bit thrilling. In some strange way, it takes me back to when I was a giddy 16 year old and thought that that was what life was like when you grew up. I loved that stuff then, and apparently, I never out grew it.
I really enjoy watching these men throw themselves at her and the lengths that they go to to impress her. I still do get a little jealous that this cute 29 year old has a 24 inch waist, a perfect tan line and can get away with wearing those short shorts. I get a kick out of watching the guys get all macho and puffed up around each other. Also seeing that when they are left alone, they all act like they are 6 years old.
Yes, I know that all of the amazing things that they do are paid for by the network. Yes, I know that the creative dates, ideas and twists are all put together by a panel of people and not planned by the actual men on the show. Yes, I know that the show purposely find the most exciting moments to put on display. However, I love it just the same. It gives me my weekly dose of "aaahhhh."

2 comments:

me and my boys said...

What do you mean? I just went on a midnight horseback ride on the beach last night. The waterfall was a bit chilly but the candle lit dinner was to die for! I'm not terribly romantic because I get so much of it - seriously, it's not all it's cracked up to be ;D Love you girl! We can be hopeless romantics together. Question is, should we let our husbands in on it?

Michele said...

I had never watched any of these shows, until last season. I started watching The Bachelor with only 3 episodes left. I was SOOOOO sucked into it and I loved it! I loved the gossip and the drama. And honestly, I am glad he didn't pick this girl...cause I didn't like her and I still don't like Melissa!