Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Keeping Up With the Jones'

Over the past couple of months, I have noticed how well organized most of my friends are. They plan way in advance, they know exactly which activity is going on in school on a particular day, their houses and yards are in perfect order and... they know where all of the matches to their children's socks are. I have sat in awe of these people. I then think back to my now distant past and think that I used to be one of those organized people. I have never been a "neat freak" and I am a self proclaimed recovering pack rat but, I used to have some sense of organization going on in my life.

So, now I have taken a refreshing new vow of organization. I have been going through the rooms in my house, tidying them up and tossing the things that are no longer necessary. I have discovered two things with the new endeavor of mine. First of all, I love it. I am getting a kick out of trying to see how much I can accomplish and how long I can get it to stay that way. Secondly, I have found it to be a daunting, exhausting and overwhelming task.

I look around and see how much stuff that we have collected over the years. I look at the boxes that we haven't even opened after moving to this house 5 1/2 years ago. I look at our garage and wish that we could get the cars in there. I then look at our storage room, the one that we didn't even know that we had when we bought this house, and see that it is absolutely stocked full of I don't even know what!

Then, the other day when I went to try to reorganize my sewing room, I was thrilled when all of my fabric fit into the amount of Space Bags that I had bought for the project. I vacuumed closed up all of the fabric, arranged all of my notions and odds and ends, then I sat down to enjoy the peace so proud that I had made it work. That was until I later went to the garage to retrieve something only to find SEVERAL new boxes of fabric, notions, and other craft things that I had completely forgotten about.

The yard, well we could go there but, at the present moment, lets just say that it leaves a lot to be desired. Last year our neighbors brought over a whole bunch of "extra" flowers that they had "mistakenly" bought and suggested that we could use them to plant in our front yard.

So, where does that leave me. Honestly, I am not sure. It is hard for me to start one of those tasks and not be completely sure of where the ending to it is. I need to figure out a plan. I have jumped off a with a pretty significant spring and I have a mom that has offered to throw away everything I own (thanks Mom,) but I am biting my lip and hoping that I can have endurance on this one! Now, you have to understand how hard this is for me to admit especially since my blog is private and I know EXACTLY who is reading this and you are all way too organized. However, it was on my mind and I thought that I would share.

1 comment:

Michele said...

I like stuff. That is why we have a storage unit. As for missing socks...it is only because they throw away the loners! Don't let anyone fool you that they can keep track of all of them. And don't stop being YOU!